Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Paid to Ride

I had a field technician contract come up in Ashland.  To maximize profit from out of town work, I try to ride my motorcycle unless the work just will not allow it.

I got up early and packed my tools.  When I got out to the bike, I gave it a once over, with an eye especially relating to the items that have received recent work.  I lubed up the chain, and checked tire pressures.  I also checked the coolant level.  Everything was fine, Good to go.

I decided to take highway 66 over to Ashland.  Its about the most direct route.  I wore my Hein Gericke Timbuktu jacket with the liner in it, and a fleece under that.  Turned out to be just about the perfect combination.

Crossing the Klamath River at Topsy gave a picture perfect view of Mt. McLoughlin and its relection in the river.  I wish I had brought a camera.  If I had brought a camera I probably would have been late for the work appointment. The ride was mercifully uneventful.

Wistful thoughts about "empty lonely places" came to my mind as I passed the site of "King Cole".  As a young child I remembered that there was a gas station that had already closed.  At some point it was dismantled or burned, leaving only a waist high sheetmetal wall that outlined the small building.  Now, even that is gone.  Several deer stood at the far edge of the clearing that was once a gas stop.  It belongs to the deer now.

Several slower cars eased over to allow me to pass.  I wasn't riding all that fast, but I was heartened that courtesy still exists on some roads.

I was surprised that there was only a tiny trace of snow on the ground along a few buildings where another gas station and motel was once in business.

The drop into the valley was dramatic as ever, descending the steep mountain flanks.  Oak trees were barely budding out at the top, but they were showing young leaves when  I reached the bottom.  The road was in good condition, save for some large sections that have been patched on the lower sections.  Once the loose gravel is gone, the ride down should be very good again.

The ride into Ashland was easy.  When the work was completed, I rode around Ashland a bit and did some shopping.  I had already packed away my fleece, and I removed the liner from my jacket.  I also switched to my three season gloves.

Pretty soon I decided to head home.  I decided to take Dead Indian home.  Up the twisting road I went, climbing the mountains. This time I think I was doing better with being in the right gears in different sections, and was able to keep my revs up.  There was a section near the hairpin that was getting some tree work done, but beyond that, nothing slowed me down.  Up at the top I did find snow still on both sides of the road, but the road itself was clear and dry.

The last time I  had been on this road, I was in our van, and we decided to take it all the way to Highway 140.  I liked the climbs and drops and generally curvy nature of the road so much, I wanted to take it again on my bike.  So, this time, that is what I did.  It was just delightful.  Despite snow on both sides of the road, the air wasn't too cold.

At the junction of 140 I dropped in behind someone on a blue sport bike, who was in turn following another vehicle.  I was a little amused pondering the practicality of my little bike.  Here I was, following someone who could totally out accelerate, and out speed me, but I hung back a bit pacing them mile after mile.  On a long two lane rise the other rider passed the lead vehicle.  I did as well, but took a longer time to do it.  It was interesting, to ride nearly along with this other rider.  I didn't know where they had come from, or where they were going, but, there we were, companions on the road, due to a shared fondness for a less common mode of transportation.  At one point he sped off and put nearly a quarter mile between us.  The next section of road was slow, and twisty, with a low speed limit, and by its end, I had caught back up without trying.  Shortly after I turned from the path my unknown companion was following.

After arriving home I looked over my bike and everything was as it should have been.  The temperature gauge  had never climbed above about one-fourth.  The oil had not decreased noticeably.  The only sign I had ridden were a few insect remains on the leading surfaces.

Just a very nice ride on a sunny warm spring day.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment